Saturday, June 7, 2014

Patina, patina, patina vs BLACK paint

Why does everybody paint things black!  Take for example the carb intake tubes.  They come from the factory silver and with age and miles turn a shade of orange.  No, not like the fruit, but a beautiful orange blush, a color that can not be duplicated with a spray can, a color that comes with age, like when a woman has a grey hair or two or you have greying temples.  It shows not only the age of the bike but it's miles.  Anyway, enough of that.  Someone in this bikes life decided to paint the tubes BLACK.  So I sat down at the shop with a bucket of warm water, a soft scouring pad and a little time and gently removed the BLACK paint to bring back that aged beauty of Orange Blush.
Yeah, I know, what a waste of time, but as I worked on the tubes I would look over the bike to see what else needed to be done and also reflected on things I read in the past posted by W6rec, Duane years ago and looked over at the clutch pivot arm and other things I remembered from his site when I had my R75/5.


This is what I started with:



This is what 25 min. of cleaning gave me,  Patina!  99.95% clear of BLACK paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment