Friday, July 11, 2014

What happened?

Well, I was on my way to visit a friend in Mexico but had a passport problem and had to return.  Finally got that straight but now I have to wait for another flight so it's back to work on the bikes.

Yesterday I went to Bob's BMW and picked up some new fuel valve gaskets (I bought a new set of vintage leather too) for the R60.  In the shop today I changed my plans about removing the mufflers from the R80 and put on the 60 so I reinstalled everything.  The new starter relay came in yesterday so I installed that (just plugs in).  I am still trying to remove the last of the silicone that the previous owner used to install the knee pads.  I almost have it all off but those tiny specs are giving me a hard time, plus there is a silicone film on the tank too that will need to be removed for the double stick tape to work.  I use double stick carpet tape to install the pads, thin and strong.

I have been following a blog about traveling route 50.  Riding the Horizon, it's interesting but they seem to be having a lot of delays along the way.  They are driving Urals.   http://ccjon.blogspot.com/ is the blog if you would like to follow.  I think they are now in Utah.

I've been mapping out my route and making a list of spares needed along the way plus a list of BMW dealers for parts too.  I do need to do my Mexico trip before I do the bike trip, it's a commitment I made to my friend.

Lunch is over so I need to get back to the bikes and take the R60 for a run and build up some riding time on it to check everything out.  I'd like to restart the R80 today too, maybe take it for a spin if I have time.  I know I will be riding the R100 this evening down the  lake for some fishing.

Yes, 3 BMW's can be a challenge to maintain but all being Airheads makes it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment